Location: Boulder CO
Company Name: Twitter
Occupational Category: 17-2112.00,Industrial Engineers
Date Posted: 2020-02-08
Valid Through: 2020-03-09
Employment Type: FULL_TIME
Who We Are
Twitter is looking for a Senior Software Reliability Engineer to join our Core Infrastructure Services SRE (CISS) team. CISS provides a portfolio of services including configuration management, identity access and control, software packaging and delivery in all Twitter data center zones. In addition, we provide foundational services such as NTP, DNS, and SSH/IPMI access to data center resources. These services are architected, configured, composed and designed by CISS using open source software systems with minimal dependencies with a focus on reducing operational complexity.
Our mission is to ensure the reliability of dozens of foundational services that are core to the developer and platform experience at Twitter. As a part of the larger Infrastructure Automation group, we support both bare metal service owners in an on-prem environment as well as cloud partnerships and solutions.
What You’ll Do
• Handle and improve our configuration management implementation (currently Puppet)
• Design and develop new automation solutions to infrastructure engineering problems
• Help drive standardization efforts across multiple disciplines
• Partner with teams from across the organization to help tackle hard problems in a collaborative, high velocity environment
• Ensure the reliability of the existing systems to guarantee uptime and availability of core foundational services.
• Tackle issues across the entire stack: hardware, software, network and application
• Perform analysis, troubleshooting, and introspection on core infrastructure components
Who You Are
• 5+ years with an expert understanding of Linux systems and services
• Significant experience with configuration management tools over a large fleet: Puppet, Chef, or Ansible
• You understand and have a strong interest in systems and application design
• You have the knowledge of various aspects of service design: including messaging protocols & behavior, caching strategies and software design practices
• Practical knowledge of shell scripting and at least one higher-level language
• You are able to prioritize tasks and work independently
• You can adapt and focus on the simplest, most efficient & reliable solutions
• You have excellent written and interpersonal communication and documentation skills
• You can effectively mentor junior engineers
• B.S. in computer science or similar field or equivalent experience.
• Public Cloud experience with AWS, GCP, or Rackspace
• Practical knowledge of Python
• Functional knowledge of bootstrapping tools such as PXE or cloud-init
• Experience with large scale infrastructure and systems
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
By applying for this role, you could choose to work in the following locations: