Location: Columbia MD
Company Name: Pearson
Occupational Category: 27-1024.00,Graphic Designers
Date Posted: 2020-02-10
Valid Through: 2020-03-11
Employment Type: FULL_TIME
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always reexamining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology—and each other to surpass these boundaries—we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
Pearson’s Online & Blended Learning K-12 group provides high-quality, highly accountable online education solutions to schools, school districts and students in grades K-12. The group, formerly known as Connections Education, is based in Columbia Maryland and has been named a “Top Workplace” by the Baltimore Sun for three consecutive years and a “Best Place to Work” by Baltimore magazine. Recognized for its outstanding curriculum, high-quality teachers and leadership, Pearson Online & Blended Learning is committed to expanding quality education through technology, and helping students achieve both academic and personal success.
We’re looking for an innovative, motivated creative talent to join our growing Creative Services department operating as the marketing department’s internal creative hub. Working primarily from our office in Columbia, MD, this individual will be an in-house graphic designer reporting directly into our Creative Service Manager and servicing clients throughout the entire organization.
Working in conjunction with the teams’ other designers and copywriters, this person will be responsible for producing creative assets including graphics for print, digital ads, social media, presentation templates, websites, video graphics, video animation and more for Connections Academy schools, International Connections Academy, and Partner Program schools.
The graphic designer is someone who can create innovative design solutions and play an integral role in ongoing projects that deliver on brand goals. The ideal candidate will have a background in brand marketing, communications design, enjoys collaborating with cross-functional teams.
• Work closely with the Creative Services Manager and other designers to ensure project expectations are met and exceeded
• Produce graphics for print and digital ads including video, websites, social media, social ad campaigns, direct mail, flyers and other assigned tasks
• Produce, animate and generate social video content and animations required
• Highly motivated to test new formats and optimize designs based on data and performance
• Work collaboratively with other designers, information architects, copywriters, editors, marketing channel managers, freelancers to fully understand needs, timelines and questions
• Execute tasks promptly to ensure deadlines are not missed
• Provide solid strategic rationale when presenting concepts to internal teams and clients, indicating a strong understanding of the brand, audience and medium being designed for.
• Maintain the company’s branding and creative aesthetics while ensuring each graphic produced meets the client’s specifications
• Conceptualize and offer creative solutions for innovating, improving and optimizing various internal projects
• Understand and enforce web, mobile and email design standards and best practices
• Assist Creative Services Manager with creating and managing assets database
• Stay in-the-know on design best practices across digital and print
• Maintain and ensure compliance with Pearson OBL brand standards and style guide
• Train out (as-needed) brand standards and style guides to freelancers and partner agencies
• Provide graphic design support for internal audiences when needed
• Ability to self manage to deadlines and be communicative regarding workload and expectation-setting.
Capabilities & Behaviors:
• Team player
• Effectively and positively deals with change
• Works well across teams
• Decent, Accountable, Brave, Imaginative
• Writing Samples/Creative Work Portfolio must be submitted along with resume
• Bachelor’s degree in design, fine arts or a related equivalent field required
• 3-5 years of graphic design experience, including motion graphics and video editing a plus
• Experience in the education industry (preferred) or other highly-regulated field
• Highly skilled in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, After Effects, Premier Pro, Dreamweaver) and Microsoft applications
• Expert knowledge of typography, layout design, composition, color theory, and communication design (creative that is legible and uses hierarchy)
• Ability to produce edits for projects under minimal supervision
• Strong knowledge of animation/motion graphics
• Some knowledge of video production, filming and editing a plus
• Well-versed in print development and production process, including drawing, offset printing, photography
• Creative and critical thinking skills with the ability to prioritize, organize, manage information, and turn out graphics from concept to completion
• Organized with excellent time-management skills and strong attention to detail
• Must be thoroughly passionate and immersed in the world of design with a strong drive to learn new skills and grow as a design professional, know what’s on-trend and quality
• Experience working with email, social, direct mail, on-site, display and other channels a must
Pearson Online & Blended Learning is focused on providing a flexible work environment to its employees, including the ability to work from home on a regular basis in most positions. We believe that flexibility in work/life balance is a critical part of our culture and employee satisfaction, and we are proud to provide to our employees the ability to work from anywhere, anytime. In exchange, we require that employees have the appropriate means to work remotely, including adherence to our work at home policies regarding home office setup, including but not limited to privacy of records, technology standards, equipment standards and expectations.
The following equipment will be provided to you by the company as a full-time employee:
• Laptop and phone
The following equipment will need to be provided by you, as the employee, when working from home:
• 2nd monitor (required)
• Mouse (required)
• Keyboard (required
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Primary Location: US-MD-Columbia
Work Locations: US-MD-Columbia-Grantchester Merriweather 10960 Grantchester Way Two Merriweather Columbia 21044
Organization: North America Connections
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Dec 6, 2019
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1916192
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply