Location: Columbus OH
Company Name: Nationwide Children's Hospital
Occupational Category: 49-9071.00,Maintenance and Repair Workers, General
Date Posted: 2020-02-12
Valid Through: 2020-03-13
Employment Type: FULL_TIME
JOB POSTING: HVAC/Mechanical Technician - Building & Operations Maint
POSTED: November 26, 2019, Full time, benefits eligible,
Hours: Second (2nd) Shift - Sunday thru Thursday - 3:00 PM till 11:30 PM
We are seeking a HVAC/Mechanical Technician.This position is responsible for the operation, maintenance, and repair of all HVAC and Mechanical systems including but not limited to air handlers, chilled/ hot water piping and associated systems, pumps, coils, VAV boxes, duct systems, air compressors, vacuum pumps, small hot water boilers, Air conditioners, cooling towers, sump and sanitary pump systems.Basic knowledge of electrical controls and VFDs.Must be able to understand complicated technical instructions, the ability to understand and perform tasks from oral and written instructions.Ability to research and develop maintenance procedures from manufacture?s manuals, drawings and documentation provided from the install of the equipment and or systems.Technician must be able to work independently without assistance or direct supervision, and to train other mechanics with less experience.May be required to work after normal working hours, weekends and holidays, responds to Call-Outs when requested and work outdoors in inclement weather conditions (Day or Night).Perform code compliant testing and maintain proper documentation for compliance with TJC, NFPA, State and Local codes.
Why Nationwide Children’s Hospital
The moment you walk through our doors, you can feel it.When you meet one of our patient families, you believe it.And when you talk with anyone who works here, you want to be part of it, too.Welcome to Nationwide Children’s Hospital, where Passion Meets Purpose.
Here, Everyone Matters.We’re 12,000 strong.And it takes every single one of us to improve the lives of the kids we care for, and the kids from around the world we’ll never even meet.Kids who are living healthier, fuller lives because of the knowledge we share.We know it takes a Collaborative Culture to deliver on our promise to provide the very best, innovative care and to foster new discoveries, made possible by the most groundbreaking research.Anywhere.
Ask anyone with a Nationwide Children’s badge what they do for a living.They’ll tell you it’s More Than a Job.It’s a calling.It’s a chance to use and grow your talent to make an impact that truly matters.Because here, we exist simply to help children everywhere.
Nationwide Children’s Hospital.A Place to Be Proud.
What Will You Be Doing?
• Daily scheduled inspections of all equipment rooms and areas housing the heating, air conditioning and associated equipment which supplies the buildings with a controlled environment of regulated airflow, filtration, temperature and humidity.Regulates control instrumentation associated with HVAC and Mechanical equipment.Completes Code Compliant Inspections, Testing and Documentation.
• Inspects all assigned operating equipment (daily) troubleshooting any possible malfunctions.Maintains assigned equipment rooms and equipment in a neat, clean, clutter free environment (makes repairs to equipment, removes trash, keeps floors clean, paints when necessary).
• Responsible for both pneumatic and electric control instrumentation maintenance, repairs or adjustments and calibrations to ensure the H.V.A.C.system is maintaining high level of efficiency.
• Inspects cooling towers associated with H.V.A.C.systems to ensure all units function properly and supply and return water temperature differential is within standards.Test and analyze raw water composition for the purpose of chemical water treatment in all open and closed loop systems.Monitor and correct chemical feed rates, bleed rates and make-up rates to maintain manufacturers and chemical supply representatives suggested treatment levels, clean Towers as needed throughout the season, Prep for Winter Shutdown and Spring Start-up.
• Responsible for constant care and adjustment of chiller and control units for continued on line operation.
• Diagnosis H.V.A.C.problems and take corrective action to ensure uninterrupted continuation of service Complete refrigeration equipment repairs (Residential and Commercial).
• Set and adjust individual room thermostats and air supply units to ensure comfort range for individual occupants.
• Performs inspections, preventative maintenance, cleaning, troubleshooting and repairs of Air Handling units, including motors, belts, filters, dampers, control valves, piping, electrical controls, gauges etc.
• Performs preventative maintenance, cleaning, troubleshooting and repairs on Ice Machines.Replaces ice machines if necessary.
• Ability to inspect, troubleshoot, isolate, repair, replace components of the chilled and heating water systems including piping, various fittings, valves, pumps, electrical fuses, switches, motor starters, and controls.
• Performs preventative maintenance, cleaning, troubleshooting, repairs and replacement of exhaust fans, Isolation fans, BSL fans, kitchen hoods and lab hood exhaust systems.Including fan housing, belts, pre- filters, HEPA filters, bag in/ bag out filters, electrical fuses, switches, gauges and controls associated with the exhaust fan systems.
• Performs troubleshooting, repairs, and preventative maintenance on Swisslog Tube System and all associated equipment.
• Perform Testing, Documentation, troubleshooting and repair of medical/lab air and medical/lab vacuum systems.
• Perform inspections, troubleshooting and repairs of medical/lab gas systems, including piping, valves, devices, panels and tank manifolds.Change out medical gas tanks as required.
• Demonstrate basic knowledge of the electrical distribution system (i.e.location of electric panels, basic lighting and receptacle repairs, basic installation skills of flex conduit and assist during monthly emergency generator testing).
• Demonstrate basic system knowledge of Hospital fire alarm and fire sprinkler systems (i.e.operation of, areas served, reset procedures, sprinkler cross connect procedures).Place areas in test when working on or around the F/A system.
• Demonstrate basic plumbing knowledge of DCW and DHW supply systems and sanitary drains (i.e.pump locations, areas served, cross connect procedures, operating pressures, faucets and flush valves, drain cleaning procedures - sinks, tubs, toilets showers).
• Ability to fabricate various metals, perform welding to fabricate or repair operations equipment; pump frames, mounting stands, tool/material carts, trash carts etc.
• Ability to use cutting torch and plasma cutter to cut various metals when necessary.
• Maintains essential inventory of materials, equipment and supplies (i.e.filters, belts, refrigerant, fasteners).
• Prepare supply requisitions and material list and completes necessary work documentation (i.e.Purchase Orders and Work Orders).Making calls & using e-mail to contact outside vendors and Sales representatives.
• Processes completed work orders into the computerized maintenance system.With Accurate detailed results and time daily.
• Perform Mechanic I and/or Shift Mechanic duties when assigned / required.
• Assist other trades personnel in job tasks associated with plumbing, electrical, & Mechanic I duties.
• Work various schedules to complete code compliant testing, system repairs and utility outages.
• Operates Hospital vehicles or personal vehicle to travel to off-site clinics/properties to complete assigned tasks.Maintains a State of Ohio Driver's License, can operate Hospital vehicles per Insurance Carriers requirements.
• Follows all departmental safety procedures.Maintains all assigned Personal Safety Equipment in good working condition and is always available for use when needed.
• Performs other miscellaneous duties as assigned.
What Are We Looking For?
To fulfill this role successfully, you must possess these minimum qualifications and experience:
• High School graduate
• Associate degree is desirable in HVAC, Facility Maintenance, Electro-Mechanical or Electronics
• Five or more years of related trade experience (Hospital Facility Maintenance desirable)
• EPA Universal Certification is desirable.
• High Pressure Boiler license is desirable
• Valid driver's license required.
Your Benefits, Your Wellness:
As an employer, Nationwide Children’s recognizes the importance of the benefits we offer.We also recognize the importance of balancing your work and personal needs.Our benefits and Employee Wellness package is designed to:
• Empower you to be a conscientious health care consumer through educational and wellness activities
• Establish a work environment that promotes health and well-being
• Support your financial protection and security in retirement
Most of our positions are benefits’ eligible from day 1.
Minimum Physical Requirements:
• Standing ConstantlyListening, Viewing, Talking
• FrequentlyWorking on Lifts
• FrequentlyWorking on Scaffolding
• OccasionallyLifting (up to 100 lbs.)
• FrequentlyBending, Stooping
• OccasionallyPushing, Pulling,
• Reaching Occasionally
The above list of duties is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this classification.It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties performed by the individual so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision.
Requisition ID: 2019-21607
External Company Name: Nationwide Children's Hospital
External Company URL: https://external-nationwidechildrens.icims.com/jobs/intro
Street: 700 Children's Dr