Location: Denver CO
Company Name: Denver Public Schools
Occupational Category: 33-3051.01,Police Patrol Officers
Date Posted: 2020-02-19
Valid Through: 2020-03-20
Employment Type: FULL_TIME
TRANSPORTATION Traditional 245 work days FTE: 1.0 Salary Range: $20.26 - $24.17
Essential Functions and Objectives:
Conducts two-way communications with buses, and other equipment, and personnel in the execution of all facets of transportation support for DPS students. May also perform the duties of a bus driver when necessary.
• Execute clear, concise communications with all radio-equipped vehicles.
• Assist the terminals in assuring correct dispatch of all vehicles.
• Practice strict compliance with all Federal Communications Commission procedures and regulations regarding radio operations.
• Prepare, maintain and distribute daily record logs, appropriate referral information, and accident notification reports.
• Obtain and distribute information about excursions, after school activities and athletic transportation requirements.
• When appropriate, prepare and forward referrals for work rule violations in accordance with Transportation Department policies and procedures.
• Receive and appropriately respond to incoming phone calls from Transportation staff, parents, school representatives and other members of the community.
• Know correct contacts and phone numbers for responses requiring specific expertise.
• Maintains a continuous and cooperative working relationship with the Excursion Coordinator and Athletic/Excursion /Activities Supervisor.
• Performs additional command center duties in the event of accidents, inclement weather, and other potential emergency operations.
• Responsible for weeknight census download and automated routing tasks as required.
Assume the duties of a bus driver when required, performing the following functions:
• Pick up and return students and staff as required.
• Maintain order among students aboard the school bus and report cases of misbehavior to school and staff officials.
• Take a responsible action and follow appropriate procedures in case of an accident or emergency situation arising either in transit to and from or while on the excursion site.
• Inspect bus and checks gas, oil, water, all lights, brakes, and safety equipment before driving the bus (pre-trips), and after operation (post trips).
• Fuel buses and other equipment when required.
• Keep bus clean inside and out including all glass and lights.
• Complete mileage reports, pupil count reports, and various daily bus driver reports.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• This is a safety-sensitive position within the DPS School District and mandatory position requirements include: a copy of current Driving Record at time of hire, clear CBI criminal/background investigation and compliance with Drug Free/Pre-hire and Random Drug testing conducted throughout duration of assignment.
Knowledge, Experience & Other Qualifications:
• Two (2) years working at a school or other large transportation company.
• Two (2) years experience in dispatch duties.
• Experience and proficiency with Microsoft Office products (e.g. Excel, Word, and PowerPoint).
• Experience with two-way radio systems.
• Bilingual skills in Spanish preferred.
• Possess knowledge of transportation requirements in support of educational programs and activities.
• Ability to represent the District in a professional and courteous manner.
• Ability to maintain an ongoing knowledge of changes to road networks and traffic patterns in and around the City and County of Denver.
• Knowledge of GPS and related software desired.
• Must possess a valid Colorado Commercial Driver’s License (Class B with P2S endorsements) and is insurable by the Colorado School District Self-Insurance Pool.
• Must possess a current DOT Physical Card and a First Aid Certification or be able to acquire the same.
• Must have rotational availability involving weekend trips and events.
• High school diploma or GED equivalent.
Thank you for your interest in the DPS Transportation Services Department. We are looking for individuals that demonstrate and share our DPS Core Values of Integrity, Equity, Accountability, Collaboration, Fun, and putting Students First. Come join the DPS team and make an impact at a great organization! DPS has become the fastest-growing large school district in Colorado and is widely recognized today as one of the best urban school systems in the country. We believe that innovative transportation services, and caring drivers and paraprofessionals, are an extension of the school day and support learning outside of the classroom. We are passionate about providing safe school bus transportation to our student riders. A safe pleasant ride helps students start and end the school day on a positive note. This can have an enormous impact on a student’s attitude toward school. We all have a definite role in the safe operation of our school transportation system and we would love for you to be a part of the team