Location: Denver CO
Company Name: Denver Public Schools
Occupational Category: 11-3031.02,Financial Managers, Branch or Department
Date Posted: 2020-02-18
Valid Through: 2020-03-19
Employment Type: FULL_TIME
TRANSPORTATION, CENTRAL Northwest Traditional 235 work days - PROTECH/ADMIN FTE: 1.000000 Salary Range: $71,477 - $89,350 annually
Essential Functions and Objectives:
Manages through direct supervision of a Supervisor and 6 to 9 Route Schedulers in addition to 6 radio dispatchers, athletic and coordinators along with essential coordination with the Department of Directors, Managers, Driver Supervisors and bus terminal dispatch staff in providing yellow school bus and contractor transportation for over 30,000 District students including Special Education and RTD eligible students. Manages through qualify control and direct assessments of pick up and drop off students at regularly scheduled neighborhood locations, in accordance with Federal, State, local laws and regulations (e.g., Colorado Department of Education (CDE); Denver Public Schools (DPS) training, policies and procedures; and safety rules and regulations). This is a working management position where school bus driving may be required.
• Manages through direct supervision the planning and scheduling of both yellow school bus and contractor student transportation services for transportation eligible students in accordance with District policy.
• Evaluate DPS transportation services and ensure consistency with School Board policy.
• Through direct supervision ensures clear and timely communication of transportation services reach bus drivers, students, transportation and school support staff, Student Services management, and parents.
• Using direct supervision techniques ensures best business practices are used to develop and modify school bus route plans.
• Maintains a thorough knowledge through frequent reviews and complies with Federal, State, and Local rules and regulations and procedures applicable to passenger transportation.
• Maintain employee personnel records ensuring that they are complete and accurate; and, performs annual appraisals for each direct supervised employee.
• Review and enter information into the Timekeeping systems, correcting time clock errors, and approving employee time (e.g., daily payroll).
• Monitor payroll budget by reviewing employee attendance (e.g., tardiness, absence); initiate corrective employee action as needed.
• Investigate employee complaints (e.g., customer service, student management or misconduct issues).
• Monitor and quality control submitted route planning change requests to ensure completion and accuracy.
• Proactively adjust daily schedule and work assignments to ensure transportation services are not delayed or interrupted.
• Maintain the ability through extensive training to respond to accident scenes, determining physical condition of employees, students or teachers; ensure paperwork in completed; communicate with emergency personnel; and follow up with drug test as needed.
• Maintain and continue to upgrade formalized Route Planning Professional Standards to ensure the highest levels of world-class customer service and exceptional productivity in addition to providing a structured accession program for new Route Scheduler employees.
• Provide effective training, professional development, and mentoring for Route Schedulers in a variety of areas such as job performance, customer service interaction and all facets of planning software.
• Manages through direct supervision Route Supervisor and Schedules compliance with safety measures and District policy, and implement corrective action when necessary.
• Ensures Route Schedulers are maintaining a workplace professionalism following the DPS dress code, wearing proper attire and safety items, taking into consideration weather conditions.
• Enforce the controlled substance testing program.
• Promote a productive workplace environment through shared goals, mutual respect, employee recognition, and equal opportunity.
• Prepare and oversee Transportation Department communications to the Board of Education, Superintendent and staff, the public and other administrative personnel.
• Establish, collaborate, and coordinate with Students Equity personnel to ensure reasonable, efficient, and timely services are provided in compliance with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and Free and Appropriate Public Education Act (FAPE).
• Ensure supporting documentation is captured and maintained for the annual submittal of Colorado Department of Education (CDE) 40 state transportation report in order to obtain state funding reimbursement for District.
• Through a full understanding if the route change process, maintains the ability to coordinate and communicate short notice changes with internal and external customers affecting school bus or contractor student transportation.
• Issues access to, updates, and maintains the Transportation Portal information with the multiple information folders on a regular, effective basis.
• Resolve concerns and communicate with passengers and students (e.g., student management, greeting) using a customer services orientation
• Conduct route reviews and initiates changes in timely manner through the Route Schedulers.
• Through effective leadership techniques ensures Route planning staff maintains a workplace conducive to cleanliness, harmony, productivity, and safe working conditions.
• Maintains extensive to expert level knowledge if Union contracts that have a direct or indirect affect on Route Planning.
• Assists Department senior staff in preparing cost estimates for requested transportation services (e.g., After School Activity program transportation, Summer School Support, Special Event Excursions, etc).
• Through leadership by example maintains the ability to operate a DPS school transportation vehicle (e.g., 29 to 72 passenger buses) in execution of the Transportation Department mission.
• Maintains an established process to archive all Route Planning information at a minimum monthly rate.
• Maintains expertise in updates and maintaining "District Street Files" and "No Transportation Zones" critical to Route Planning in-conjunction with District Map Services that assist schools and parents with decisions on student school of residence.
• Lead and encourage individual and departmental creativity in solving problems.
• Prepare, complete, and submit in a timely manner reports (e.g., route planner productivity levels, ridership samples, time to provide bus service, cost per student and segment analysis, and school bell times), ensuring completeness and accuracy.
• Knowledgeable in reporting procedures incidents of suspected child abuse.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• This is a safety-sensitive position within the DPS School District and mandatory position requirements include: a copy of current driving record at time of hire, clear CBI criminal/background investigation and compliance with Drug Free/Pre-hire and Random Drug testing conducted throughout duration of assignment.
Knowledge, Experience, & Other Qualifications:
• Minimum of six (6) years' experience in a supervisory, leadership, or management position in a transportation organization with more than 10 employees directly supervised for extended time period.
• Knowledge of applicable laws and regulations.
• Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel and Outlook
• Demonstrated experience performing as an effective leader and team player, and recognizing and resolving conflicts or potentially controversial situations through diplomacy.- Colorado commercial driver's license (CDL)- Class B with P2S endorsements is required or able to be acquired within 6 months.
• Must meet insurability requirements of the Self Insurance Pool for driving District vehicle.
• Must pass Department of Transportation physical (DOT).
• Must be certifies by Red Cross for CPR (within 90 days after employment).
• Strong interpersonal and leadership skills, including the ability to lead a high-performing team.
• Strong organizational and analytic skills and strong attention to detail.
• Ability to motivate and influence others.
• Ability to set goals, work independently and drive results.
• Ability to communicate diplomatically, persuasively, effective oral, written and presentation skills.
• Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or related field is required.
Thank you for your interest in the DPS Transportation Services Department. We are looking for individuals that demonstrate and share our DPS Core Values of Integrity, Equity, Accountability, Collaboration, Fun, and putting Students First. Come join the DPS team and make an impact at a great organization! DPS has become the fastest-growing large school district in Colorado and is widely recognized today as one of the best urban school systems in the country. We believe that innovative transportation services, and caring drivers and paraprofessionals, are an extension of the school day and support learning outside of the classroom. We are passionate about providing safe school bus transportation to our student riders. A safe pleasant ride helps students start and end the school day on a positive note. This can have an enormous impact on a student’s attitude toward school. We all have a definite role in the safe operation of our school transportation system and we would love for you to be a part of the team