Location: Detroit MI
Company Name: City of Detroit
Occupational Category: 13-1199.00,Business Operations Specialists, All Other
Date Posted: 2020-02-24
Valid Through: 2020-03-25
Employment Type: FULL_TIME
The City of Detroit is seeking to hire a Project Manager & Analytics Specialist to join the Public Space Planning Unit, housed within the Parks and Recreation Division of the General Services Department. The Public Space Planning Unit is responsible for all park planning initiatives within the city, including the network of our 311 parks, 17 recreation centers (some of which are operated by our community partners), 140+ city-owned buildings, and major greenway initiatives.
The Project Manager & Analytics Specialist is responsible for supporting initiatives established by the department/division leader. They possess knowledge of project development and the ability to manage a project or program from start to finish. They assist with the development and implementation of divisional goals and initiatives. The Project Manager & Analytics Specialist possesses expertise in data analysis and has the ability to work with advanced levels of data analytics. They drive change and process improvements within the customer base. The position of the Project Manager & Analytics Specialist is focused heavily on managing a wide range of projects involving data collection, production, and dissemination relating to strategy, planning, and organizational effectiveness efforts. This position reports to a department/division leader.
• Work with park planners to update and develop the Parks and Recreation Improvement Plan on a 5-year cycle.
• Map-making and graphics including but not limited to planning efforts, park access, connectivity across the parks system, stormwater infrastructure, new land acquisition maps, and community engagement flyers.
• Serve as Detroit Building Authority liaison to understand status and timeline of pending parkland acquisition and/ or recreation land disposition.
• Work with existing interdepartmental teams to represent the parks perspective in ongoing planning efforts.
• Analyzes data from a variety of database sources and formats for research, systems, and report design.
• Assists stakeholders in understanding generated reports, outputs, and operational interfaces, and counsels them on their use, and in finding ways to be used to improve their functionality.
• Assists with the implementation of organizational goals, initiatives and plans.
• Develops and implements initiatives to improve work processes.
• Drives fact-based decision making at all levels within the organization.
• Drives process improvement initiatives, including automation, on the processes/tools used to increase the capability and efficiency of reporting efforts.
• Investigates and analyzes complex proposed departmental reorganizations of City departments.
• Manages project development and execution from inception to closure.
• Presents results of analyses concisely and effectively to ensure adoption.
• Produces summarization reports, outputs, and operational interfaces that present research findings to stakeholders.
• Provides recommendations for improving business results, operational efficiencies, and system experiences through in-depth analysis.
• Provides supporting information to substantiate research findings.
• Responsible for Data Management best practices, quality standards and advanced Data Management activities (Acquisitions, Reorganizations, Advanced Data Setup, etc.).
• Tracks and reports project milestones and status reports to project sponsors.
• Works in conjunction with the department/division leader to manage change control and ensure consistency and alignment of change control management across the Department.Education
Bachelor's degree with major in data analytics, project management, business, management, organizational development, or a related field.
Project Manager & Analytics Specialist II – Increased levels of responsibility and two to three years of project management or data analytics experience.
Employees in this class are expected to remain current in project management best practices and may be required to participate in continuing education and training opportunities.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be substituted to meet the education and experience requirement of this position.KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Detroit's park system and a planning background specific to parks is preferred but not required.
• Business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation and human resources modeling.
• Information technology.
• Laws, policies, regulations and methods governing public sector processes.
• Management principles and generally accepted methodologies and procedures.
• Project management tools and software packages.
• Regulations, policies, procedures and labor contracts pertinent to service areas.
• Understanding and administration of data development and data analytics processes.
• Understanding and application of lean six sigma process improvement methods.Skilled In:
• Using ArcGIS, Adobe Suite and Microsoft Office or relevant open-source platforms for map-making, graphic design, word processing and budgets.
• Change Management.
• Coordinating and expediting employee actions affecting department services.
• Customer and Client Focus.
• Data analysis.
• Driving results.
• Effective written and oral communication.
• Gathering, organizing and analyzing information.
• Initiative and Self-Management.
• Organizational Development.
• Quality Management and Process Improvement.
• Problem Solving/Decision Making.
• Professionalism and Credibility.
• Project, change and time management.
• Team work and team development.
• Thoroughness and attention to detail.
• Time Management.
• Various project management applications. Ability To:
• Assist in the project management of multiple simultaneous City initiatives.
• Assume individual accountability for achieving organizational goals with resourcefulness and minimal supervision.
• Bring focus and perspective to group and team projects.
• Communicate effectively in both oral and written formats.
• Communicate effectively verbally with tact and diplomacy.
• Concurrently manage multiple priorities.
• Develop and maintain effective working relationships.
• Learn quality management and process improvement principles.
• Learn the essentials of organizational development.
• Learn the services, jobs, and skills required and business activities of department(s) supported.
• Organize and prioritize work to assure timely and effective completion of assignments and attainment of goals
• Remain current in best practices and legal requirements.
• Respond to workplace dynamics in a timely and pro-active manner.Subjects and Weights
Evaluation of Training, Experience, & Personal Qualifications: 30%
Total of Interview and Evaluation T.E.P: 100%
Detroit Residency Credit: 15 Points
Veteran Points: 0-15 Points