Location: Houston TX
Company Name: Houston SPCA
Occupational Category: 29-1131.00,Veterinarians
Date Posted: 2020-02-12
Valid Through: 2020-03-13
Employment Type: FULL_TIME
Do you crave a collaborative workplace that provides ample room for career development? If so, joining the veterinary team at the Houston SPCA could be your best career move yet.
Our hospital is equipped with modern diagnostic equipment for triaging injured animals from the eight counties that make up the Greater Houston area. We have digital radiography, ultrasound, and in-house laboratory equipment. Our campus now has a brand new Adoption Center, Wildlife Center, Education building, and a new barn and arena. The next phase of our construction project will include renovations and expansion to our current veterinary hospital and rehabilitation center, allowing us to grow our program even more.
This is a great opportunity to work with mission-driven staff providing excellent care to animals in need. We treat companion pets, wildlife, farm animals, and the occasional exotic. Veterinarians at the Houston SPCA also participate as clinicians for the Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine in their Animal Welfare and Shelter Medicine rotation.
Finally, the veterinarians at the Houston SPCA play a vital role in our ongoing mission to eliminate animal cruelty. They ensure that animals are cared for medically and rehabilitated, and their expert witness testimony can bring justice for the innocent victims of animal cruelty, abuse and neglect.
Essential Functions of the position:
• Provide compassionate care to all animals in need.
• Triage and stabilizing emergency patients
• General supervision of Veterinary Technicians
• Responsible for the instruction of TAMU fourth year veterinary students during rotation
• Diagnose and manage animal health problems.
• Manage direct preventative care for all animals in the population.
• Perform surgery as needed.
• Educate clients, coworkers and volunteers on needed topics.
• Build relationships with clients, co-workers, volunteers and public.
• Follow protocols and standards of care set forth by Houston SPCA.
• Be an ambassador for the Houston SPCA at all times.
• Perform additional tasks as assigned.
Knowledge, skill and abilities required to perform the essential functions of the position:
• Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DMV or VMD) required.
• Eligible to be licensed to practice veterinary medicine in the state of Texas.
• Current DEA license for controlled substances.
• Valid Texas Driver’s License and insurable under the Houston SPCA auto policy.
• Ability to work hours necessary for the successful operation of the Houston SPCA and the animals in its care.
• Ability to lift 50 lbs