Location: Houston TX
Company Name: Houston SPCA
Occupational Category: 29-2056.00,Veterinary Technologists and Technicians
Date Posted: 2020-02-12
Valid Through: 2020-03-13
Employment Type: FULL_TIME
Essential Functions of the Relief Veterinary Technician Position:
• Relief Veterinary Technician works under the supervision of a licensed veterinarian or contracted veterinarian with the Houston SPCA.
• Relief Veterinary Technician is responsible for proper animal handling.
• Care for, feed, water, monitor, medicate and perform minor treatment on animals.
• Responsible for vaccinating animals that come into the shelter or need updated vaccinations.
• Draw blood and perform diagnostic testing including, but not limited to heartworm testing, fecal testing, skin scraping, FIV and FIV testing.
• Assure that injured animals receive proper and timely treatment.
• Maintain assigned equipment, supplies and vehicles in safe condition and report any problems or needed repairs to the Director of Animal Services or Veterinary Services Supervisor.
• Review charts, collect vital statistics and assist Veterinarian during surgery and exams.
• Prepare animals, instruments and equipment for surgical procedures.
• Collect specimens and perform laboratory procedures.
• Draw blood and perform diagnostic testing
• Protect all confidential information, including customers, donors, animals and internal communications.
• Represent the Houston SPCA by providing excellent customer service and focus.
• Additional tasks as assigned.
Knowledge, skill and abilities needed to perform the essential functions of this Relief Veterinary Technician position:
• Licensed Veterinary Technician preferred.
• Learn the Houston SPCA policies and protocols, such as, but not limited to admitting, cleaning and medical protocols.
• Working knowledge of breeds, diseases, medical conditions, and animal handling and behavior.
• Ability to handle animals safely, with patience and gentleness.
• Ability to represent the Houston SPCA in a professional manner in all situations with the public, volunteers and staff.
• Ability to create and sustain positive working relationships within the Houston SPCA, with volunteers and the public, and be a team player.
• Veterinary Technician must be patient, courteous and work well under stressful conditions.
• Knowledge and ability to accurately work with detailed information in paper and electronic form.
• Ability to read, write and communicate effectively.
• Ability to learn and quickly adapt to changes in programs and procedures.
• High school diploma or equivalent with one year of working experience.
• Valid Texas Driver’s License and a good driving record is optimum.
• Ability to work unscheduled hours.
• Ability to lift 50 lbs.
This Relief Veterinary Technician job description is not designed to encompass all activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the individual. Other duties than those listed herein may be assigned