Location: Jacksonville FL
Company Name: City of Jacksonville
Occupational Category: 47-2073.00,Operating Engineers and Other Construction Equipment Operators
Date Posted: 2020-02-10
Valid Through: 2020-03-11
Employment Type: PART_TIME
This is mechanical work in inspecting, diagnosing, and repairing heavy vehicles. The work requires knowledge of techniques, methods, and procedures used to repair heavy vehicles. Physical demands are moderate and primarily consist of standing, stooping, bending, reaching, climbing, walking at work sites for extended periods of time, and lifting and moving objects weighing up to 50 pounds. Operates motor vehicles such as dump trucks, garbage packers, road tractors, bucket trucks, buses, trailers, heavy vans, pumpers, ladder trucks, quick response units and auxiliary engines and uses equipment and tools necessary for repairing heavy vehicles.
• Assists the Heavy Vehicle Technician to perform the job responsibilities.
• Inspects, diagnoses, and repairs heavy vehicles for mechanical defects.
• Performs preventive maintenance such as changing oil and hoses on heavy vehicles.
• Performs general engine repair and overhaul such as adjusting clutches, replacing main and connecting rod bearings, etc.
• Troubleshoots and repairs electrical systems.
• Performs general mechanical repairs to systems such as fuel systems, exhaust systems, cooling systems, air conditioning, transmission, and front end systems.
• Performs mechanical repairs to diesel or propane powered equipment.
• Road tests vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,000 pounds or more to determine whether repairs have been completed.
• Writes service requests and diagnoses mechanical problems.
• Prepares and maintains records on jobs.
• Demonstrates proficiency in the City of Jacksonville's competencies.
• Performs related work as required.
• Knowledge of techniques, methods, and procedures used to repair heavy vehicles.
• Knowledge of standard tools and equipment of the heavy vehicle repair trade.
• Knowledge of heavy vehicle engine electrical systems.
• Knowledge of hydraulic and air-operated systems.
• Knowledge of test equipment including volt-ohm meter, dwell meter, tachometer, micrometer, engine analyzer, and transmission pressure gauge.
• Knowledge of the hazards of the work and safety practices and procedures.
• Ability to inspect and determine mechanical repairs needed on heavy vehicles with gas and diesel engines.
• Ability to perform preventive maintenance on heavy vehicles.
• Ability to read, understand, and apply repair orders and technical manuals.
• Ability to operate tools and equipment. Ability to operate dump trucks, garbage packers, road tractors, bucket trucks, buses, trailers, heavy vans, pumpers, ladder trucks, quick response units, auxiliary engines and other vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,000 pounds or more.
• Ability to prepare and maintain records.
• Six months of education and/or experience in the general repair and overhaul of heavy vehicles.LICENSING/CERTIFICATION/REGISTRATION:
• A valid state Driver's License is required prior to appointment and must be maintained
• A valid Florida Class B Commercial Driver's License is required within 12 months of appointment and must be maintained during employment.
• Must qualify for prior to appointment, obtain, and maintain during employment in this class a City of Jacksonville Certification as a Public Driver.
• Depending on assignment, FLA Class B Driver's License with P Endorsement may be required and must be maintained.
• Depending on assignment, FLA Class B Driver's License with X Endorsement may be required and must be maintained. OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
• Upon appointment to this class, must possess minimum hand tools as required.
• This classification performs safety-sensitive functions and is subject to pre-employment, random and other drug/alcohol testing programs as set forth in the City of Jacksonville's Drug Free Workplace Policy (0401).ONLINE APPLICATION REQUIRED.
• Apply through the link provided. NEOGOV works best with Google Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer version 11 or higher browsers. Please try to apply using one of these browsers. You may have to cut and paste the link into the browser's search area. Be sure to add coj.net to your address book to ensure you receive email notifications. You may also check your application status at any time by logging into your account.
If claiming veteran's preference, you must attach a DD-214 (Member Form-4 copy) or military discharge papers, or equivalent certification from the Department of Veterans Affairs listing military status, dates of service and character of discharge. You must also attach the Veterans Preference Certification Form and if applicable, the additional forms as noted here: http://www.coj.net/departments/employee-services/veterans-preference
If a candidate believes he or she was not afforded veteran's preference, he or she may file a written complaint, within 60 calendar days upon receipt of notification of the hiring decision, requesting an investigation to:
Florida Department of Veterans Affairs
Division of Benefits and Assistance
9500 Bay Pines Blvd., Room 214
St. Petersburg, FL 33708