Location: Nashville TN
Company Name: Meharry Medical College
Occupational Category: 31-9092.00,Medical Assistants
Date Posted: 2020-02-20
Valid Through: 2020-03-21
Employment Type: FULL_TIME
Tracking Code997798 Job Description
This position under general supervision and direction, renders patient care in accordance with regulatory, licensing and accreditation standards and provider’s orders. Assists physicians or other providers in preparing patients for examination, treatment and implementing patient care treatment programs; performs related technical tasks that support the provider. Assists with patient and family education independently or as delegated by the provider.
• Arranges patient’s follow-up or referral appointment scheduling.
• Administers injections and medications as ordered by the Provider.
• Performs medical procedures or assists with procedures to include but not limited to, splints, dressings; hearing and visual testing, respiratory therapy and EKG.
• Schedules tests, surgeries and obtains proper authorization and precertification.
• Contacts patient and pharmacy for prescription authorizations promptly as directed by provider.
• Conducts patient callbacks as directed by physician, accurately documenting patient’s comments and/or progress completely in patient’s medical record.
• Promptly and courteously rooms patient for examination, obtains patient’s vital signs, chief complaint and brief history and documents accurately in medical record.
• Prepares exam and treatment rooms with necessary instruments.
• Assists Providers in minor surgeries and physicals. Draws blood for lab testing, performs lab procedures and prepares laboratory specimens for pick-up, complete with adequate patient information.
• Documents all patient interventions and responses thoroughly in patient’s medical record; communicates results and orders to patients as directed by the Provider.
• Maintains patient files, records and other information, tracks laboratory and diagnostic tests results.
• Disinfects patient rooms after each patient and sterilizes equipment and instruments according to office schedule, procedures and/or manufacturer’s recommendations.
• Maintains a clean and orderly patient environment (removing soiled linen, disposing of waste, etc.) according to universal precautions and OSHA standards.
• Reviews written and verbal instructions with patient and family members, provides educational materials and obtains procedure/surgical consent forms with patient and family members.
• Maintains sufficient quantity of pharmaceutical, examination room and treatment room supplies at all times; prepares inventory to determine items to be replenished.
• Assists with other clerical functions such as compiling data for reports and records adheres to Medical Group/Medical Foundation policies, procedures, protocols and standards.
• Demonstrates general understanding and knowledge of front/back office standards, procedures, medical terminology and medical office practices.
• Demonstrates ability to read, write and communicate.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks, independently, under pressure.
• Knowledge of medical practice and care to assist in giving patient care.
• Knowledge of examination, diagnostic and treatment room procedures.
• Knowledge of medical equipment and instruments to administer patient care.
• Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to establish a safe working environment.
• Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with patients, medical staff and the public.
• Ability to maintain quality control standards.
• Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
• Ability to interpret, adapt and apply guidelines and procedures.
• Ability to operate computer keyboard, terminal and printer, general office equipment, special medical and telephone equipment. Job Location Nashville, Tennessee, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular