Location: Norfolk VA
Company Name: General Dynamics
Occupational Category: 11-2031.00,Public Relations and Fundraising Managers
Date Posted: 2020-02-08
Valid Through: 2020-03-09
Employment Type: FULL_TIME
Labor Relations Manager
Date: Jan 14, 2020
Location: Norfolk, VA, US, 23523
Company: National Steel and Shipbuilding Com
Shift : ALL
Security Clearance: No Clearance
General Dynamics NASSCO-Norfolk is the consolidation of two great shipyards that have operated in the Port of Hampton Roads, Virginia for more than 50 years - the former Metro Machine Corporation and the former Earl Industries. Along with our facilities in Bremerton, Washington, our expertise encompasses experience on more than 450 ships, a Master Ship Repair Agreement (MSRA) contract, and the maintenance and repair of aircraft carriers and ships from the Navy's amphibious fleet.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND PURPOSE (Job Description)
Manage multiple departments within the Human Resources area including labor relations, employee relations, personnel administration, professional and workforce development, employee retention and employee benefits. Serves as an internal consultant on policies, programs and issues related to the labor relations and management of the hourly compensated workforce. The employee holding this position is exempt and is expected at all times to use discretion and independent judgment to perform the duties of the position.
POSITION DEMANDS (Education/Training)
• Typically has an MA/MS degree, plus two (2) years' directly related experience or
• BA/BS degree plus five (5) years' directly related experience or
• AA/AS degree plus seven (7) years directly related experience or
• Ten (10) years' directly related experience as a production manager, team leader, ship/assistant ship manager, or other related mid-level management position.
• PHR or SPHR certification Preferred.
POSITION DEMANDS (Required Experience)
• Ability to comprehend the workings of a heavy manufacturing environment that is unionized and to develop and apply Company policies and Federal and State laws in a way that respects hourly employees and is supportive of Company goals.
• Knowledge of employee relations and ability to resolve employee grievances and other employee issues through conflict resolution skills and techniques.
• Requires strong customer service and written and verbal communication skills.
• Manages a staff of up to of seven.
• Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
• Experience participating in union contract negotiations.
• Extensive knowledge of Human Resource laws and practices.
Must be able to go on vessels
This position reports to the Director of Human Resources and interacts with managers, supervisors, and hourly employees as well as external agencies. This position works closely with Human Resources Generalists, the Human Resources Manager, Staffing and Compensation Manager, and their direct reports.
• Administration of the collective bargaining aggreement.
• Administration of the Company Substance Abuse Program and Attendance Control Program.
• Negotiation of Collective Bargaining Agreements (CBA) including preparing for and attending negotiations, drafting contract proposals, meeting with management regarding issues to be addressed in negotiations, ascertaining and presenting management views about contract proposals, consulting with Company attorneys regarding contract language, and keeping Company management apprised of status and outcome of negotiations.
• Grievance administration and resolution including interpretation and implementation of CBA grievance provisions, interviewing witnesses, assessing and evaluating merits of grievance, presenting grievance information in management meetings, deciding whether to resolve grievance prior to arbitration, preparing for grievance arbitration, appearing at arbitration, and informing management about the outcome of grievance or arbitration.
• Develops, implements and administers the management-labor relations area of the personnel program in an effort to improve labor relations.
• Developing and implementing strategy for response to union activities including picketing and elections.
• Counseling all employees on workplace issues such as attendance, Company regulations and compatibility with supervisors.
• Supervises and provides direction to subordinate staff engaged in developing and establishing employee training and educational assistance program in an effort to upgrade productivity across all levels of the company.
• Supervises and provides direction to subordinate staff engaged in processing benefits claims, research, evaluation, and cost benefit analysis of the various benefit programs.
• Investigates problems, such as working conditions, disciplinary actions, and employee grievances. According to circumstances, provide recommendations for problem resolution to department heads.
• Completing assigned projects as needed involving the research and organization of information used for the development or modification of policies.
• Additional responsibilities as assigned.
Accountable to the Director of Human Resources for working with employees on daily basis in compliance with Company's mission, vision, values and principles. Accountable for the quality and timeliness of assistance with grievance administration, Company programs, and workplace issues.
Regular, reliable attendance onsite is an essential function of this job. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to focus. While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands and fingers, handle or feel objects or controls, and to talk and hear. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
General Dynamics NASSCO is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law.
To learn more about applicant rights under federal law, click here:
EEO is the Law Poster
EEO is the Law Supplement
If you have a disability that impacts your ability to complete the job application process and would like to request an accommodation, please contact our Human Resources Department.
For Norfolk, call (757) 543-6801. This contact information is for accommodation requests only, not to inquire about the status of applications.
Nearest Major Market: Hampton Roads
Nearest Secondary Market:
Job Segment: Employee Relations, Labor Relations, Manager, Security Clearance, Human Resources, Management, Research, Government