Location: Phoenix AZ
Company Name: Central Arizona Project
Occupational Category: 11-2011.00,Advertising and Promotions Managers
Date Posted: 2020-02-12
Valid Through: 2020-03-13
Employment Type: INTERN
Overview & Purpose
PAID SUMMER INTERNSHIP: $17.00/Hour
Target 12-week Internship Dates: 5/18/20 - 8/06/20
(4-10 work schedule M-Th 6am - 4:30pm)
PURPOSE: Work collaboratively with the CAP GIS Coordinator to gain hands-on experience in various aspects of GIS that CAP utilizes to support a complex water delivery system.
• Work with Central Arizona Groundwater Replenishment District (CAGRD) staff to edit, input, quality check, and create maps of member land subdivisions.
• Edits to a variety of Water Resource layers.
• Organize and publish layers to CAP's SDE spatial database with appropriate metadata.
• Assist with publishing map services to AGOLPortal.
• Assist with mapping of assets at CAP's Pumping Plants.
• Perform quality control checks for new aerial orthophotography.
• Update maps and routes for the CAP Maintenance Field Guide Book.
• Assist employees with CAP's web and mobile GIS applications.
• Other layer editing, cartographic, analysis and remote sensing projects as requested by staff.
• At end of the 12-week engagement, intern will prepare and deliver a presentation which includes:
• A summary of the work including map and data samples
• What he/she learned
• An evaluation of the intern experience at CAP
• Recommendations for future interns
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
• Junior or higher level student (or recent grad) working toward a degree in GIS or related field. May be an undergrad or grad student.
• Applicant must possess some ArcGIS software experience. At a minimum, ability to create general maps, edit data layers and perform simple data queries and overlays is required.
• Clear oral communication skills.
• Excellent problem solving ability.
• Must submit a one-page essay and transcripts (unofficial or official) with the online application.
• Must be legally authorized to work a paid internship in the United States