Location: Portland OR
Company Name: American College of Healthcare Sciences
Occupational Category: 25-1071.00,Health Specialties Teachers, Postsecondary
Date Posted: 2020-02-10
Valid Through: 2020-03-11
Employment Type: FULL_TIME
ACHS is currently recruiting for the following faculty:
• General Education - Business, Math, Environmental Sciences, and Chemistry
• Herbal Medicine
• Holistic Nutrition
American College of Healthcare Sciences (ACHS) has been providing excellence in holistic health distance education since 1978 and is accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC). ACHS specializes in accredited online graduate and undergraduate degrees, diplomas, certificates, and continuing education courses in integrative medicine fields including aromatherapy, herbal medicine, holistic nutrition, and more.
Our mission is to provide leadership in holistic health education through comprehensive professional online and on-campus education and high-quality natural products with a commitment to sustainable practices and principles.
ACHS is a Certified B Corporation, devoted to excellence in education, sustainability, and ethical business practices. ACHS is a When Work Works award winner for 2017; Oregonian Top 100 Workplaces award winner 2017; ranked #5 on Oregon Business Magazine's Top Green Workplaces 2018, #5 in in 2017, and #12 in 2016; and named a Military Friendly school for nine consecutive years. For more information, visit www.achs.edu.
As a small institution, our faculty integral to ACHS's integrity and continuity through consistent and authentic engagement with students and participation in academic and collegiate life at ACHS and by representing ACHS with integrity in their day to day activities. Instructors work with one or more cohorts of students in a particular course, utilizing our online classrooms in the Canvas LMS.
Instructors are expected to teach material aligned with the ACHS philosophy and stated program and course learning outcomes, actively participate in class and engage in substantive interaction with students throughout each week to provide prompt feedback to students and conduct weekly virtual conferences with students (ACHS uses an integrated conference tool for seamless online meetings in class). Faculty also curriculum development work and are an essential part of the ACHS Center for Excellence in Teaching, Technology & Assessment.
Excellent online communication skills are essential, including an ability to communicate at a distance (email, discussion boards, live lessons, or phone as needed) with a variety of learner styles and post-traditional students.
Download the full ACHS Faculty Position Description online here.
All instructors must have:
• Minimum of a Masters degree from an accredited institution or terminal, professional degree in a related field; PhD is preferred.
• At least two years teaching experience, preferably online, and subject knowledge and professional experience.
• Experience teaching in an online learning platform such as Canvas is essential. (Angel, Moodle, and Blackboard considered).
Specialized Education Requirements:
• General Education Faculty (Social Sciences, Humanities - Social sciences include anthropology, cultural geography, general history, religious history and culture, economics, political science, general psychology, and sociology; humanities include language, literature, philosophy): Requires a Masters degree in a related field; a minimum of 18 graduate-level credits may be considered
• Graduate-level herbal and nutrition courses - Requires a doctoral degree (e.g., ND, DC, DO, MD, PhD, etc.)
• Undergraduate-level integrative health and wellness courses - Requires a Masters degree or higher in a related field
• Graduate and undergraduate Aromatherapy courses - Applicants must have completed a NAHA- and AIA-approved aromatherapy program and be a Registered Aromatherapist.
• A current PC or Mac at your home (minimum specs: 64MB RAM, 1.2 GB free space on hard drive, Windows XP or Mac OSX, MS Office, Internet Explorer 5.X, e-mail with file attachment capabilities)
• High-speed Internet service (DSL, cable modem, or ISDN), webcam, and phone line