Location: Portland OR
Company Name: Exova
Occupational Category: 49-2098.00,Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
Date Posted: 2020-02-12
Valid Through: 2020-03-13
Employment Type: FULL_TIME
Element has an opportunity for Machining & Mechanical Testing Manager to join our growing team. The Manager, Machine Shop and Mechanical Laboratories directs the day to day safety, quality, production, and profitability aspects of the Machine shop and Mechanical Testing Laboratories. The individual is responsible for the leadership, supervision, upkeep, and improvement of the personnel, equipment, and procedures in the area to meet customer, operational, and profitability requirements. The role will also lead and direct the activities of the Machine Shop department to meet our corporate initiatives of safety, on time delivery, and quality. Lead a high performing, cross trained team to ensure complete coverage for all shifts on all testing needs
• Ensure all safety regulations and practices are being followed and improved on a continuous basis
• Oversee, plan and participate in the day to day operations of the Machine Shop & Mechanical test areas to meet the delivery requirements of the customer and laboratory
• Coach employees, assign work, and schedule activities
• Cross train employees to operate all machining equipment in order to ensure effective operation in the laboratory
• Manage the performance of the personnel in the group, ensure accountability, productivity, quality and management of overtime
• Develop training modules for all SOP's to aid in training of new technicians as well as refresher training for existing technicians
• Provide training and qualification for all department employees, as required
• Set achievable and motivational expectations for the team in accordance with the objectives and growth strategy of the location
• Ensure key performance metrics, including safety, quality, productivity, responsiveness, and customer satisfaction levels, are defined and achieved
• Ensure all equipment is operational and preventative maintenance and calibrations are kept current
• Continually drive improvements in efficiency and accuracy in the department and measure improvements, using tools like
• Lean Production, 5S and 6 Sigma
• Participate in implementation of root cause corrective actions for quality audit findings and customer complaints
• Provide exceptional customer service and implement preventative actions to prevent complaints
• Actively work to improve efficiencies in all areas of responsibility and drive cost reduction activities on a daily basis
• Communicate proactively with customers and potential customers in conjunction with the Sales and Customer Service departments in order to understand testing needs
• In conjunction with the Quality Manager, ensure the maintenance and calibration of test equipment is always up to date
• Ensure timely participation in proficiency testing and round robins as directly by the Quality Department
• Approve subcontract work and controlled consumable purchases
• Assist with quoting and pricing machining work in accordance with pricing policy approved by the General Manager
• Assist with design and developing processes to more efficiently prepare and test specimens
Skills / Qualifications
• Strong Leadership competency driving operation improvement, mobilizing commitment from the team while continuing to develop each member
• Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university in a technical discipline, Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science or Industrial Engineering disciplines are preferred
• 5+ years of managerial or supervisory experience preferred, but a strong history in continuous improvement and operational excellence are equally valuable
• Excellent presentation and facilitation skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, Proven leadership skills
• Ability to remain calm when faced with mounting pressure related to deadlines and multiple priorities
• Well-developed oral and written communication skills to meet a variety of communication needs
• Good interpersonal skills that foster open upward and downward communication built on mutual respect
• Ability to interface with clients, win new work and determine their requirements; helps develops proposals including cost estimates, work plan and terms and conditions
• Knowledge and experience with Materials Testing accreditation systems for Nadcap and ISO 17025
• Team building and maintenance
• Market and industry knowledge
• Ability to delegate, hold others accountable, and communicate expectations
• Understand accounting and finance fundamentals
• Training in addition to college coursework to learn and upgrade skills will enhance the probability of success in the position
NOTE: This position requires access to export-controlled commodities, technical data, technology, software, and services. U.S. citizenship, U.S. legal permanent resident status, protected person status under 8 U.S.C. ? 1324b(a)(3), or U.S. Government export authorization is required. Any offer of employment is contingent upon the employer obtaining the necessary export authorization, including, if required, an export license from the U.S. Department of Commerce's Bureau of Industry and Security, the U.S. Department of State's Directorate of Defense Trade Controls, or other applicable government agency.
We are Element, one of the fastest growing testing, inspection, certification and calibration businesses in the world.
We deliver critical services in Materials Testing, Product Qualification Testing, Certification, Device Calibration and Advisory Services to the Aerospace, Oil and Gas, Transportation, Industrials, Fire and Building product, Infrastructure and other leading sectors, where failure in service is simply not an option.
Everything we do helps our customers to build better products; get their products to market on time; save them time and money; and minimize the risk associated with product development and production.
Our mission is simple: to be the best testing partner in the world and together we strive towards a common vision of becoming the world's most trusted testing partner.
We have four values that we strive to live by every single day.
• Safety - We keep our colleagues and visitors safe
• Integrity - We act honestly and fairly to do the right thing
• Excellence - We set new standards of excellence in everything we do
• Partnership - We work together for the benefit of our customers
When combined with our mission and vision, the ethos this creates, enables Element to deliver one thing. CERTAINTY. We exist to help make certain that the materials and products we test, inspect, certify and calibrate for our customers are safe, quality, compliant and fit for purpose.
At Element, we always take pride in putting our people first. We are an equal opportunity employer that recognizes diversity and inclusion as fundamental to our Vision of becoming "the world's most trusted testing partner".
All suitably qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective work related criteria and without regard for the following: race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, and/or protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the applicable governing laws.
Associated topics: assembly, cae, machine, mechanical, mechanic, motor, naval, thermal, turbine, turbomachinery