Location: Portland OR
Company Name: TriMet
Occupational Category: 11-9199.00,Managers, All Other
Date Posted: 2020-02-14
Valid Through: 2020-03-15
Employment Type: FULL_TIME
Manage Commuter Rail vehicle maintenance operations. Assist the Director of Commuter Rail in management of contracted railroad services for Commuter Rail transportation and maintenance of way operations. Manage the coordination of TriMet support services for Commuter Rail operations, including stations cleaning and stations and park/rides facilities maintenance. Assist in managing compliance of Commuter Rail operations with all applicable regulations of the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) and Federal Transit Administration (FTA).
Ensure a commitment to safety through effective leadership, role modeling and implementing practices that demonstrate that safety is a fundamental value and a priority in all aspects of work. Perform related duties as required.1. Manage Commuter Rail vehicle maintenance TriMet employees, including: hiring, administering the Drug & Alcohol testing program, training, supervision, scheduling and assignment of work, safe workplace practices, employee relations, response to employee grievances, and discipline according to the collective bargaining agreement and TriMet policy.
2. Manage Commuter Rail vehicle maintenance operations to meet all requirements of TriMet's Commuter Rail vehicle inspection, testing and maintenance plan as required by FRA regulations, including daily and periodic passenger car / locomotive inspections; monitor FRA hours of service records for our mechanics; daily passenger car / locomotive brake tests; periodic brake equipment maintenance; periodic carbon signaling tests; and passenger car fire safety and on-board emergency equipment and emergency exits inspection, testing and maintenance. Maintain relationships with vehicle systems Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM's) and vendors to ensure FRA required and OEM recommended overhauls are performed on-time, an adequate spare part chain is maintained and expedient systems technical support is maintained.
3. Deliver initial and recurrent training to employees to achieve and maintain FRA-required passenger railcar maintenance qualification, according to TriMet's Commuter Rail vehicle maintenance qualification program, as required by FRA regulations. Manage and deliver all aspects of the training program to include creating training materials, creating lesson plans, scheduling training, administering training and documentation of training per FRA regulations and TriMet protocol. Maintenance training includes classroom and hands-on instruction on locomotive/passenger equipment mechanical, electrical, electro-mechanical, electronic, pneumatic, HVAC and software/network systems to include electrical schematic and mechanical drawing interpretation/navigation, diagnostics using computers and effective troubleshooting practices for all vehicle systems.
4. Manage all related functions for Commuter Rail vehicle maintenance, including shop operations; shipping and receiving; standard operating procedures; administration of the FRA required efficiency testing program; maintenance scheduling, records and information management; parts, materials, tools and shop equipment inventory and procurement; fleet fueling, cleaning and washing; and operations facility cleaning.
5. Assist the Director Commuter Rail in managing TriMet's contracted railroad services for Commuter Rail transportation and maintenance of way operations, including coordination with railroad officials, monitoring performance, and reviewing invoices for contracted railroad services.
6. Manage TriMet support services for Commuter Rail operations, including stations and park/rides cleaning and facilities maintenance. Act to correct problems and improve performance of Commuter Rail support services by any responsible department.
7. Assist in preparing annual budgets for TriMet's Commuter Rail Department, monitoring expenses to budget, documenting and distributing daily ridership and monthly performance reports and monitoring Commuter Rail performance to service quality and maintenance plan objectives. Support the development, budgeting and implementation of Capital Projects focused on ongoing maintenance and state of good repair. Act as needed to correct and improve performance.
8. Manage the development and implementation of vehicle modifications as needed to include mechanical/electrical drawing updates. Work with OEM's to develop and implement software/firmware updates. Maintain software management control plan for vehicle fleet including the management and programming of all on-board intelligent modules and diagnostic computers. Develop and implement maintenance updates, documents, manuals, procedures and forms in support of vehicle maintenance to include on-line documentation.
9. Act for the Director, Commuter Rail during his/her absence.A minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent is required.
A minimum of ten (10) years total credited experience.*
Two (2) years of management experience in railroad or transit vehicle maintenance is required.
Two (2) years of supervisory experience in railroad or transit vehicle maintenance is required.
Two (2) years of Journey-level experience in a railroad or transit vehicle maintenance discipline: Diesel Mechanic, Light Rail Vehicle Technician, Commuter Rail Vehicle Technician; or four years of equipment or project engineering in a rail maintenance discipline is required.
Or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
• The amount of credit a candidate receives for prior years of experience is based on the relevancy of that experience to the required or preferred prerequisites of the job description. Experience is prorated based on hours worked. LRHR assigns and validates the "credited experience".
Type of Position / Grade / FLSA:
Grade 16, Exempt, Non-Union, Full-Time
Selection Process - Candidates will be selected based at a minimum on the result of:
1. Application Review | Please Include: Cover Letter and Resume
2. Supplemental Exercises
2. Panel Interviews
3. Reference and Criminal Background Check
Make sure you describe in detail how your education, training and work experience fit with this role. You are encouraged to attach a resume, cover letter, training certificates and/or letters of recommendation with your application. You are permitted five attachments of less than 5MB each.
Internal applicants: Information in your personnel file will not be used in lieu of information requested on your application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
If you are a qualified veteran and would like to apply for veterans' preference points, you will need to reflect your status on the application and attach supporting documentation at the time of application submission.
If you need accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act for any part of the application process, contact our Human Resources staff at 503-962-7505, or the TTY line at 7-1-1. Note that we require a minimum of two workdays' notice prior to the need for accommodation.
TriMet is an equal opportunity employer, committed to developing an organization that is reflective of and sensitive to the needs of the diverse community we serve, including veterans, the elderly, and individuals with disabilities.
Employment Type: Non-Union Regular Full-Time