Location: Washington DC
Company Name: American Chemical Society
Occupational Category: 25-1021.00,Computer Science Teachers, Postsecondary
Date Posted: 2020-02-24
Valid Through: 2020-03-25
Employment Type: FULL_TIME
Division and Unit Overview
C&EN (Chemical & Engineering News) produces authoritative, award-winning journalism about the world of chemistry, including coverage of recent advances in research, education, industry, funding, and regulatory policy. It is published by the American Chemical Society (ACS), the world's largest scientific society dedicated to a single discipline, and is widely considered one of the major benefits of membership. C&EN's weekly print magazine reaches more than 150,000 members of ACS, and its daily website receives more than 7 million page views per year. The C&EN Media group also publishes a wide range of custom content, including sponsored webinars, white papers, conference show dailies, advertorials, and native advertising projects.
The Production Editor is responsible for editing and producing scientific content for publication across C&EN's print and digital channels. They are responsible for the production—through publication—of a portion of the content we put out on a daily basis, a process that involves meticulous editing and meeting newsroom deadlines.
The ideal candidate has a love of both science and language, a sharp eye for detail, excellent organizational skills, the flexibility to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines, and strong decision-making skills.
• Coordinate production of C&EN editorial content as well as C&EN BrandLab native advertising and other sponsored content.
• Pair editing skill and scientific knowledge to ensure content is free of errors and adheres to C&EN's style guide.
• Monitor production of science-rich artwork, working with and advising writers, editors, and designers to achieve informative and inviting graphics such as chemical structures, graphs, charts, tables, and schematics, as well as complex, data-filled infographics.
• Coordinate with writers, editors, and designers to ensure that text, photos, and graphics publish on schedule to each channel.
• Ensure output of complete, error-free XML for publication to digital C&EN channels: web, mobile, and global edition; ensure output of complete, error-free PDFs for publication to print and e-mailed digital editions.
• Ensure story and art metadata are complete and correct so stories display correctly in print and digital channels.
• Implement search engine optimization (SEO) best practices for discoverability of digital content and act as a champion of SEO best practices among C&EN's team of writers and editors.
• Create content for C&EN's print, digital, social, and other properties as appropriate.
College degree in chemistry or related science. 2+ years of journalism or communication related experience preferred. Specific training/experience/job knowledge requirements for an incumbent to successfully perform the job include a strong grasp of grammar, ability to manage multiple priorities and projects, attention to detail, ability to meet deadlines, and ability to work as part of a team. Digital journalism and editing experience, including working within a content management system and knowledge of search engine optimization best practices, is a plus as is a high level of familiarity with creating collaborative and automated documents in Google Sheets and Docs.